Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Making of my Kirby Chess Set

I made a Kirby chess set out of polymer clay.  The idea actually came a few years ago, when I was watching my friend play chess and doodling at the same time.  I ended up drawing each of the pieces as Kirby.  My friend reminded me of this recently, and he told me I should actually build the chess set.

To make the pieces, I rolled balls of aluminum foil as the centers, and used polymer clay around it.  The bases were polymer clay circles with nickle-sized openings in the bottom.  I waited until I sculpted all the pieces to paint the faces on.

The pawns have 4 different poses:
The rooks are the stone Kirby from Super Smash Brothers on top of a tower/cylinder. 
The knights are Kirbies sitting on horses. Very small horses.
The bishops are Kirbies with bishop hats (painted later) and staffs.  The staffs were made with half of a paper clip with clay rolled around it, and the clay off the end curving back around.
The king and queen are on thrones and have crowns (the king is on the right).
I painted all the faces on with acrylic paint.  Some of the pieces fell apart a little (they didn't stick on the bases, or they got cracked), so I used hot glue to glue them back together.  That chess board's squares are 2" wide.
To weight the bases, I melted some lead scraps and poured them in.  Be careful when melting lead at home, kids!  Make your parents do it; they have less life ahead of them.
Then I cut out felt for each piece and glued it on the bottom with white glue.
This is the completed chess set for the Kirby side!
The other side will be Kirby enemies.

2 comments:

  1. I love it so much!!! Is it ok to just put a nickel in the base to weight it??? I don't really want to melt metal...

    ReplyDelete