Monday, June 28, 2010

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

That is the best first line of a book ever. I remember in high school, my English teacher told us that the first line of a novel is the most important part, because it sets up the entire novel and captures the reader's attention. This first line certainly got me in the right mindset for reading the rest of the book. I have had the original first line ("It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.") memorized since 7th grade, which made this one all the better.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's infinitely better if you've read Pride and Prejudice, since it takes a lot of the original novel and then changes parts. It works surprisingly well.

I actually don't know which book I like better (I'm secretly a romantic.. sometimes). I really liked Pride and Prejudice and both of the movies, but Pride and Prejudice and Zombies has everything that a bestseller should. It appeals to everyone! It has romance for girls, zombies and ninjas for guys, and it even has literary merit for the English teachers (complete with discussion questions at the end)! It almost makes me enjoy English. Almost.

Anyway, go read it. Then we can discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment